This is the course I wish I had when I started working with breast cancer survivors...
If you want to confidently and safely apply your existing skills, learn new strategies and comfortably communicate in the language of oncology, you're in the right place!
My goal in life is to help women live well...and I love to do that by empowering other women's health pro's
If you want to:
- Be able to understand the language of cancer, from DCIS to TNM to MSCC...
- Learn how treatment strategies for breast cancer - surgery, chemo, radiation, hormonal therapies - affect women and how you can help them manage and move beyond these side effects...
- Know how to progress your exercise recommendations, use your manual therapy skills safely and effectively to improve scars at both the breast but also donor sites after reconstruction, decrease pain and improve function
- Understand the side effects of Chemotherapy (peripheral neuropathies, digestive function, cardiotoxicity, bone health, cognitive dysfunction, cancer related fatigue...) Radiation (progressive fibrosis, fatigue, shoulder issues...) or Hormonal therapies (Tamoxifen, Aromatase Inhibitors, muscle/joint issues, menopausal symptoms, sleep disruptions)
- Understand how the lymphatic system works, how it is affected by breast cancer surgery and radiation, strategies to optimise it, lymphedema risk reduction strategies and red flag signs that the LS is becoming stressed
- Become aware of how pelvic health is affected by breast cancer treatment - both from surgery and from chemo/hormonal therapies, including bladder issues, bowel dysfunctions and sexual health
- Be confident in recommending different exercise strategies and different progressions at different stages of treatment and recovery
- Recognise red flags and when to refer on
- Learn from expert colleagues working in this field, who'll be sharing their knowledge in a series of video interviews
- Be supported in our private Facebook group, for problem solving and additional resources
THEN THIS IS THE COURSE FOR YOU!
My name is Michelle Lyons, and I'm passionate about women's health! My mission is to help women live well and I do that by empowering women's health pro's around the world
My toolbox encompasses my 25 years as a physiotherapist as well as training and experience in yoga, pilates, mindfulness and women's wellness. I've spent most of the last decade teaching women's health pro's nationally, internationally and online, from post graduate conferences on the world stage, to local women's groups. I love to talk about women's health!
For more information on my journey and adventures,
You can visit my website and blog at celebratemuliebrity.com
So...what's in this course?
Each Module is a combination of voiceover powerpoint videos with downloadable pdf, videos with exercise or manual therapy demonstration, and guest expert interviews, with evidence based and immediately applicable information.
(and don't forget, there's a closed FB group, called Michelle Lyons MuliebrityEducation, for all the resources I couldn't fit in!)
Understanding the language of cancer, from DCIS to TNM to MSCC
Prehab your body
Prehab your shoulders
Prehab your house
Interview with Grainne Donnelly on the role of exercise in cancer treatment
Chemotherapy: Neoadjuvant and Adjuvant treatment
Side effects of Chemotherapy: management of Chemo Induced Peripheral Neuropathy, Cancer Related Fatigue, Cognitive Dysfunction
Chemo and Bone Health - what does the evidence tell us about exercise for chemo induced bone changes
Interview with Dr Beverly Zavaleta, author of 'Braving Chemo'
Surgical management: Mastectomy and Breast Conserving Surgery/ Wide Local Excision
Post-op recovery strategies: how to progress exercise prescription
Scar Management videos
Interview with Amelia Didsbury on scar management after breast cancer surgery
Autologous Tissue Reconstruction - learn the different rehab implications for surgeries like DIEP, TRAM, TUG, LD flaps and SGAP/IGAP
Scar and rehab implications for both the breast site and the donor sites
Breast Implant Reconstruction - how can we help prevent issues with our manual therapy and exercise prescription skills?
Capsulectomy and BIA LCL - what do women need to know about implant safety?
Video: Mobility Strategies after Surgery
The Lymphatic System - how does it work, how is it affected by breast cancer treatments. how can we optimise it, how can we recognise it is stressed - what are the red flags? Can we use our regular manual therapy skills with women who have a compromised LS?
Managing cording and Axillary Web Syndrome
Manual Lymphatic Drainage - what can we do?
Exercise and Lymphedema - what's safe? What's necessary?
Video: Integrating manual therapy and exercise prescription
Interview with Dr Nicole Stout on exercise and lymphedema
Hormonal Therapies - understanding how Tamoxifen and Aromatase Inhibitors work...and their side effects
Musculo-skeletal Issues - how are they affected by Hormonal Therapies (and what can we do?) (answer - lots!)
Sleep Strategies and Dealing with Menopausal symptoms
Restorative Yoga Strategies
Radiation - how it works in breast cancer treatment and what we need to know about its side effects
Bone and Joint Health after radiation - mobility and strengthening strategies
Assessing mobility capabilities
Progressive Pilates for functional gains
Interview with Louise Brennan on innovation in breast cancer rehab
Pelvic Health After Breast Cancer Treatment
How are bladder health and bowel function affected by various breast cancer treatments?
Breast Cancer and Sex - what do women need to know?
Essential Food Strategies guide
Interview with Alyssa Tait on nutritional strategies for energy management, mucosal healing and good gut health during and after breast cancer treatment